Veterans Administration (VA) loans are guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and are designed to provide housing assistance for armed services members, veterans and their families who are looking to purchase homes. The guarantee allows active duty military, veterans, service personnel, some members of the selected reserve and certain categories of spouses to obtain home loans with favorable terms, usually without a down payment.
- Credit scores as low as 500 are acceptable
- No down payment is required in most cases
- No Mortgage Insurance required
- Owner-occupied properties only
- Terms: 30 year fixed rate
- Limit on the amount of origination fees, appraisal fees and closing costs
- No pre-payment penalties